Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bride of the Century Episode 1 to 6 Report Card– The Kang Joo and Doo Rim Ship by Fangirl Ciel



I started this drama on a whim. Usually, I check out the first few episodes of a drama to get a feel if it’s my cup of tea and if it’s worth watching. Me and Bride of the Century (BC) had a rather boring start. I was unimpressed with episode 1 that it took me a couple of days before I watched the next episode. Well, why? I find the plot rather cliché and maybe a little bit makjang.  Rich, arrogant, cold hearted hero who has never loved before, check! Poor kind hearted, innocent, very candy-ish heroine, check! It’s basically the plot of almost every drama that ever existed.

Then the other fangirls started raving about the drama and I decided to watch the next epiosode. Episode 1 was basically an introduction of the characters, and the reason why Doo Rim has to enter Kang Joo’s life. What made this drama addictive and enjoyable is when Doo Rim finally met Kang Joo and played his fiancée which is around in episode 2. The chemistry is just palpable, and their interactions oh so funny and spazz worthy!

So how do I rate BC as a drama so far? I’ve come up with a grading system which I think are important ingredients of a good drama, namely a well written plot, a swoon worthy male lead, a kickass heroine, skinship and chemistry, and lastly interesting and non-annoying side characters.



A Well Written Plot
Ok, this drama is basically a compilation of all the typical drama clichés. Nothing original here, folks. If you’re a fangirl looking for something new and substantial to watch, then sad to say this ain’t your ship. Typical clichés aside, it’s still one enjoyable drama to watch. So for that, I’ll give it 6 out 10 fangirl heartsJ

Swoon worthy Male Lead
Now this I must admit can be deal breaker for me sometimes. I want my male lead to be somebody I could be attractive to. I don’t think that’s too much to ask, right? One drama that I abandoned because I really hated the male lead is Answer me 1994. I’m sorry Na-Jung, but I’ll choose Chilbong anytime over Garbage oppa! See below pictures for comparison. Just no, I can’t ship that.


Now back to BC, Choi Kang Joo is definitely one Swoon worthy male. Yeah at first he was the typical male lead who is rich, smart, cold, arrogant, rude etc. But once he started thawing for our heroine, the cuteness peeks out! Kang Joo is man child who is surprisingly sweet, adorably petty, loves skinship (!!!!) and just look how cute he is eating sweet potato. Be still my fangirl heart!




So how do I rate Kang Joo in my scale? 8 out of 10 fangirl hearts!

A Kickass Heroine
Now I want my drama to have heroine who I could look up to. It’s ok if she’s poor, it’s ok is she’s flawed, but girl she must have some spunk and backbone!



Now Doo Rim, I just love her. I usually find overtly kind and innocent heroines to be annoying, but Doo Rim also has spunk and will never let Kang Joo walked all over her. One of the most enjoyable thing in BC is to watched Kang Joo gets thwarted with his amorous advances. He’s all conceited thinking Doo Rim will accept them, but boy he gets the shock of his life when he gets bitten and sucker punched for it!



For that, I’m also giving her 8 out of 10 fangirl hearts!

Skinship and Chemistry
8 episodes so far along the drama and I have no complaint in this department so far. Korean dramas usually tend to skimp on skinship, and sometimes the long awaited kiss could be just a pathetic peck in the lips. Really, after 16 episodes, that’s it?

But here in BC, they must have set a record. Because my ship has 3 kisses so far! I’m one happy fangirl. And the chemistry between the leads is definitely there, see pictures below to prove my point.

Kiss 1 – The accidental kiss

Kiss 2 – The You can’t do anything about it Kiss

What made this scene even more spazz worthy is Kang Joo’s smirk in the end!
Kang Joo: Yup I finally kissed you Doo Rim, and you can’t bite and punch me because of it! Score!

Kiss 3 – The I can’t help but kiss you coz you have cream on you lips

Now this is the best kiss in the drama so far, because it’s not accidental nor it’s an act. It is purely Kang Joo’s initiative coz he can’t just help it! Swoon! J If I were Doo Rim, I’ll make sure to eat more cream cakes in front of Kang Joo in the future J Kekeke.

So will all that record breaking kisses and sizzling chemistry, I’m giving this drama a perfect 10!

Interesting and Non-Annoying Side Characters
I think side characters are important in a drama too, their side stories must be interesting as well. They should have just the right amount of screen time, and they should have dimensional characters. It’s really annoying when they tend to be annoyingly bad or bitchy or worse don’t mature or redeem themselves at the end of the drama.


Now for BC, the villains are the mothers who are quite a piece of art. They may not be actual killers, but they might as well be. I actually consider them to be in the same league with Lee Jae Kyung in You Who Came from the Stars! I can’t wait for their plans to back fire and for them to suffer.


Jae Kyung: When I die and go to hell, I’ll be taking you two with me.



Kang Joo's father is actually the sanest and kindest among the parents. It's refreshing that this actor who always play evil daddy (City Hunter, City Hall among others) finally play the good daddy role for a change.



Yi Kyung, the original heiress feels one dimensional to me. I was able to understand her character at first why she was hesitant to marry Kang Joo, how she finds him cold and how she feels like that he’s just using her. Then add a crazy mother who pressures you to get married to save your family’s company, can’t really blame her for running out and skipping town. When it was revealed that she was actually an accomplice to her mother’s evil plan, I was kinda disappointed because it looks like she’s nothing but a selfish, crazy and evil side character.


For the other male lead, I find Yi Hyun oppa a bit boring and too goody goody for my taste, but I’m glad that he’s harmless to my ship so far.


The other female lead, Roo Mi is effectively playing her role because I just hate her! Nothing more pathetic than a girl who clings to guy who doesn’t love her back and even sabotage his current relationship. Have some pride girl!


The female lead’s best friend Jin Joo is quite cute and loyal to her girl friend Doo Rim.




Kang Joo’s brother Kang In provides good comic relief in the drama. He balances out Kang Joo’s cold personality with his fun and happy character.

So for BC, the side characters balances and complements the story though they don’t really stand out on their own. So I’m giving it 7 out of 10 fangirl hearts.

Bride of the Century Episode 1 to 6 Report Card:
A Well Written Plot – 6.0
Swoon Worthy Male Lead – 8.0
A Kickass Heroine – 8.0
Skinship and Chemistry – 10.0
Interesting and Non-Annoying Side Characters – 7.0

Average Score: 7.8 Fangirl hearts






No comments:

Post a Comment