Monday, April 7, 2014

Ana’s Take on Bride of the Century




When you are a fan girl, you keep on watching, waiting for that one drama to make you want to lurk into fan sites for every possible news, picture, behind the scenes videos, NG features, preview …..anything at all about that ONE DRAMA that you  really really like at the moment feels like manna from heaven . You listen to the sound track every possible time to help you get through the week of waiting for the new episode. And because you miss it so much you try to find another fan girl who can understand your craziness (I have Ciel to share my craziness with, you can have us both if you need to share with another crazy fan girl =)).

Been watching dramas  regularly for a few years now (I usually pick one to 3 dramas at a time just so I can still have a life though 3 is already   bordering on  crazy haha)  and  it’s been more than a year of waiting for that one drama to make me go gaga over again.  Bride of the Century is that one drama for me and boy how I love to have this feeling back. Me and Ciel got so crazy about BC  we watch it even without subs  (Ciel actually watches it live streaming hee hee)just to ease the pain of waiting and fill in the need to watch the new episodes. What makes the waiting more painful for this drama is that English subs are only available after 3 days of its telecast . Three veeeery loooooong days of waiting whereas in other dramas we only need to wait a few hours. During times like this I really see the need to learn Korean just so I don’t have to  wait for the subs anymore.


Why am I so crazy about  Bride of the Century?


Bride of the Century  has leads with awesome chemistry.  Choi Kang Joo ( Lee Hong Ki) and Na Doo Rim ( Yang Jin Sung) are awesome together. All BC fans know that Yang Jin Sung plays both Doo Rim and  Jang Yi Kyung but then Kang Joo only has chemistry with Doo Rim. If you don’t believe me then maybe you should try watching it just to check out their chemistry…..it feels so real. Watching Kang Joo and Yi Kyung together makes me want to puke whereas when its Kang Joo and Doo Rim I just feel so in love too.
 



   

   Choi Kang Joo (Lee Hong Ki)! I just love him so much. I do not know if it’s his eyes that seem to talk to me or because he looks like he is always in control giving me a sense of comfort like he will really take care of me…..oh wait he loves Doo Rim not me. That is actually my point, watching Choi Kang Joo makes me feel like I am Doo Rim and so just like Doo Rim, I will fight just to have forever with him.


     

    
Yi Hyun is such an oppa, the second lead that nobody will hate. Not only is he cute but he is just so nice I want to take care of him but never will I want him to end up with Doo Rim.


   Roo Mi the girl just as obsessed with Kang Joo as I am, I thought I will hate her forever. This drama really has a way of changing things now I am just so glad to have Roo Mi on Doo Rim’s side.


    Kang In, Choi Kang Joo’s brother is just so cute. His may be a minor role in the drama but he is such a bearer of cheer, all BC fans will remember his character by heart.
     

    Jin Joo, Sec. Kim, Butler Jang and Butler wife  they are the typical assistant / friend of the leads one will want to have for oneself. Theirs may just be supporting characters but their roles complement the lead’s life a lot making their characters unforgettable.

    Choi Il Do, Kang Joo’s dad, don’t you just love dads who cheer on their sons to go fight for their true love. Il Do’s high regard for Doo Rim has been evident ever since their first Baduk match. The fatherly affection was made more evident when he had to meet Doo Rim in private to explain to her that his son’s rejection is not because of the absence of love. I am sure you are equally happy when Il Do went to Doo Rim’s restaurant not only to have a taste of her cooking but also to once more cheer her on by telling her he knows about the swap with Yi Kyung and he still believes in her.
     

    The Ghost. I still don’t fully understand her connection with Kang Joo or Doo Rim in terms of family tree, or why she needs to protect the head of the Choi family but one thing is for sure, she is instrumental in Doo Rim and Choi Kang Joo’s meeting. If Bride of the Century is compared to Cinderella then the Ghost is their fairy godmother.
 
Non-drama fans say that they do not understand how fangirls like us can watch rom coms on a regular basis because to them all dramas are the same, boy meets girl, falls in love, a conflict happens and they get back together. In reality, love is like that right, so writers base their love stories on real stories, on real couples. But just like real life love stories, all dramas are different. A simple and familiar plot can suddenly feel different and may even become an awesome drama depending on several factors like the chemistry of the leads, the twists in the story, acting, musical score, supporting casts complementing the leads, cinematography, direction and many other aspects in a show. I cannot give an expert technical review of Bride of the Century but one thing is for sure this drama makes me feel crazy awesome, like you’re addicted to love all the time and I tell you it’s a great feeling. So, a dose of Bride of the Century anyone ?!


No comments:

Post a Comment