Thursday, April 10, 2014

In a Good Way Episode 1 to 19 Report Card – The Li Chuan and Jia En Ship by Fangirl Ciel



Well hello there, fellow fangirls! I’m here to finally review a Taiwanese drama that I've been avidly watching every week. I’m talking about none other than the drama In A Good Way, which is quite popular nowadays and deservedly so. It’s been so long since I encountered a good Taiwanese drama, that I don’t even remember the last one that I've seen. I think it’s Autumn's Concerto?

This drama has been tagged as the Taiwanese version of Answer Me 1997. I think both dramas are similar in a way that it focuses not only on the lead’s romantic life, but as well on the friendship they've developed that influenced their growth through the years.  One of the great things about the drama Answer Me 1997 is that it managed to have me care for ALL the side characters which I think is quite a feat. In a Good Way is similar in tone, all of the character have side stories that entice you to care and love them.

This drama actually reminded me more of It Started with a Kiss and They Kissed Again due to the college activities and problems the characters are encountering. And I love it! I feel young again and I’m right there with the characters attending Chen Dong University.

Now on to my review…



A well written plot

In a Good Way is a refreshing and relatable coming of age drama.  Don’t you just love a drama that reminds a bit yourself and your experiences? In a Good Way makes me reminisce about my time in college and how fun it was to be young and practically free of responsibility. I personally love the Treasure Hunting club and their activities, quite unique in a drama and very entertaining. How I wish the college that I went to also have the same club.


This drama also reminds me how exciting and exhilarating it is to fall in love for the first time. Li Chuan and Jia En’s love story was nicely narrated and developed that there’s a deep sense of satisfaction when they finally got together.

The flow of the story was better in the first 10 episodes, and I must admit that some of the story arcs lasted too long and I don’t like some side characters to care about their side stories.  One story arc that took too long to settle is their battle against Xiao Wei’s professor. Xiao Wei took so long to have confidence that I’m starting to hate her, good thing that it was all worth it in the end. The Freedom Concert was daebak!


Taiwanese dramas tend to overexpose side characters and drag the story, and I was expecting it when I started this. It’s like all the side characters must have the time to shine, which can get pretty annoying if you don’t like all the side characters.

Overall, In A Good Way still exceeds my expectations and succeeds in being an excellent coming of age drama.  I’m giving it 9 out 10 fangirl hearts!

Swoon-worthy Male Lead



Oh Li Chuan, how I love thee. And how do I count the ways?

In my eyes, he is perfect. He is one of the best male lead in drama land for he has all the good characteristics that we look for. The best thing about him? He’s not an asshole! J Gasp, could it be? A male lead in drama land who is rich, smart and handsome yet not a total bastard at all?


It’s a possible alright. They’re rare, but every now and then a male lead like Li Chuan is born among the typical arrogant assholes out there in drama land.

Li Chuan is played by Lego Lee, whom I never heard or seen before this drama. What a treat he is for the eyes, he looks like a crossed between Nicky Wu and Joe Cheng. I practically drool whenever he appears on screen.

A crossbreed between the 4th prince and Zhi Shu anyone?

I just love how kind, patient and humble Li Chuan is.  He never rushes anything, he likes to analyze and think things through. He’s a genius of course with a very high IQ, also quite a jock. Don’t we all just love it whenever the guys play basketball? He’s also a great friend, and he’s such a nice guy because he has quite a way in turning down girls who like him without offending them. I could go on and on how much perfect Li Chuan is, he’s just that male lead in a drama that you could actually see yourself liking in real life.

I’m giving Li Chuan 10 out of 10 fangirl hearts! J

A Kickass Heroine



Ling Jia En is one the most innocent and shyest heroines I ever encountered. I think it’s one of her innate charms that make her so lovable. She is fiercely loyal to her friends, even to those who are undeserving of her loyalty. Yes, I am looking at you Ren Wei!

It’s nice that Li Shuan fell for her first, of course it’s fun to watch him secretly look at her adoringly. Jia En took her time falling in love with him, which I admire because she didn’t love him just because he’s handsome and popular. She fell for Li Chuan her friend who always cared for her and for the Li Chuan who she unknowingly have deep conversations with at night in a chat forum.


The only thing I don’t like about Jia En is how she could be unconfident and undecided sometimes. Which is to the writer’s credit, Jia En is slowly getting better in overcoming. I think by the end of the drama she’ll be able to transform and be the best version of herself.

I’m giving Jia En 9 out of 10 fangirl hearts.

Skinship and Chemistry


Chemistry is definitely sizzling between Jia En and Li Chuan, and they’re starting to have more skinship now that they’re finally together. I am hoping that the drama will show us the two of them sleeping together before it ends. Oh come on, don’t you hope for it too? ;)  So far we have a couple of hugs and a kiss, which is not bad.


The magic between this couple is that they mostly do innocent acts but still spazz worthy. Even a simple scene where Li Chuan is giving Jia En a piece of chocolate while shyly smiling at each other makes me go “Awww”. These two trapped in a motel room where nothing really happened at all still made my heart beat crazy, because the sexual tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Kekeke.


I’m giving them 9 out of 10 fangirl hearts.

Interesting and Non-Annoying Side Characters


I don’t quite love all the side characters as much as I did Answer Me 1997, but I do admire and care for most of them.


I’ll start with Ren Wei. Am I the only who abhors his character? OMG, he’s like the most terrible friend in the world. He practically sabotaged Jia En’s application in college so she was delayed for a year, snubbed and took her for granted while courting Bai Xe and now sabotaging her relationship with Li Chuan now that she’s finally happy. He is selfish and childish, and rushed into every decision. He’s the exact opposite of Li Chuan!

There are a couple more episodes left so I’m hoping he’ll redeem himself in my eyes.


Next to Li Chuan, my favorite character is Bai Xue. I think I might even like her more than Jia En. She is such a strong character, beautiful, so mature and always the voice of reason among her friends. I started to admire her when she unselfishly gave up her feelings for Li Chuan, and even encouraged Jia En towards Li Chuan. Can’t all other female lead be like Bai Xue? I think the story is hinting that she and Ren Wei may get together in the future which I am against. I’ll have to see how Ren Wei turned out first and see if he’s deserving of the perfect Bai Xue.



Completing Li Chuan’s flower boy trio is A Qing and Ri Qi.  It’s nice how the three of them are so different from each yet they are the best of friends. Li Chuan the serious and smart one, A Qing the outgoing womanizer and Ri Qi the mysterious guy who loves to travel.

I love the scenes between these three, it’s hilarious whenever innocent Li Chuan and Ri Qi ask for relationship advice from A Qing! Here is one of my favorite scenes, where A Qing and Ri Qi both played Li Chuan’s evil subconscious.

Good looking and smoking body, Chen Dong girls doesn’t stand a chance.


Jia En’s girlfriends are Xiao Wei and Tracy. Like the flower boys above, these three are the opposite of each as well. It’s also fun to watch them bond, gossip and talk about boys. Just girls being girls.



It’s almost too cliché that Li Chuan’s best friends dates Jia En’s best friends as well. I am more interested on how Xiao Wei and Ri Qi will turned out, since these two are so shy and timid I find it hilarious.


I must admit that I sometimes skipped scenes whenever it’s A Qing and Tracy moments because Tracy annoys me a lot. She may be pretty, but she could really be childish that it’s a wonder A Qing still likes her.


Overall, side characters in In A Good Way were interesting and nicely developed, though a bit overexposed sometimes. I’m giving it 9 out of 10 fangirl hearts J.

Others

Another thing about this drama that reminds me of Answer Me 1997 is that they have both great soundtrack! I love the songs in this drama, more so the songs played during Li Chuan and Ji En moments. 

My favorite is On My Mind by Wu Bai and China Blue. While listening to it I can almost dream that I was the one hugging Li Chuan  during the Freedom concert ;)


In a Good Way's closing song, Receding Love by Frey. 


 Opening Song, Good Morning Hard City by Adrian Fu


In A Good Way Report Card:

A Well Written Plot – 9.0
Swoon Worthy Male Lead – 10.0
A Kickass Heroine – 9.0
Skinship and Chemistry – 9.0
Interesting and Non-Annoying Side Characters – 9.0

Average Score: 9.2 Fangirl hearts







No comments:

Post a Comment